If you’re waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat wondering how on earth are you going to pack your whole apartment on your own, you’re in the right place! The fear you have is completely normal, especially for those packing for their first move. Luckily for you, moving and packing is nothing new. Your fellow humans have also been doing it for ages, and we’ve come up with neat guidelines for stressless packing. If you however have zero belief in your packing skills, there are plenty of north Las Vegas movers that offer packing services. That said it’s up to you to decide if packing is an endeavor you want to undertake or outsource it to movers. That said, if you decide to do it on your own, worry not! First-time packing is not as hard as it sounds.
To try or not to try, that is the question
When planning a move, first you have to decide whether you want to pack on your own or not. At first, packing might seem intimidating. That being the case, you may feel compelled to outsource the task to professionals. Doing so will certainly speed up the packing process. Professional packers have heaps of experience under their belts. And for that reason, outsourcing packing might be a great option if you lack the time or will to pack.
That said, packing might seem overly simplistic to you as well. After all, it’s just putting things in boxes, right? Well, no. Packing requires time and effort, and for the first-time packers even research. Packing properly is extremely important to avoid any unwanted damages since doing it improperly can be detrimental to your belongings. To conclude, if you decide to pack on your own, take it seriously, but don’t be too anxious about it either.
Collecting the packing supplies
Now that you’ve decided that you’re brave enough to pack on your own, it’s time to collect the supplies! When buying supplies you should always make sure you’re buying enough. It’s always better to have some to spare than DIYing the last few boxes. That said, you should also make sure your packing supplies are of high quality. Unfortunately, low-quality supplies are likely to fall apart. For that reason, it’s important to choose sturdy quality supplies to make sure your possessions are well-protected.
Necessary supplies for first-time packing
Now that it’s been underlined how important the quality and quantity of supplies are, let’s get to what the absolutely necessary supplies are:
- Heavy-duty cardboard moving boxes. There are different kinds of moving boxes. However, when moving it’s always advisable to invest in heavy-duty cardboard boxes. Those boxes are less prone to damage than thin cardboard boxes and are thus less likely to fall apart.
- Bubble wrap. Bubble wrap is what will actually secure your belongings. For that reason make sure you buy bubble wrap that’s not deflated. Also, make sure to buy enough!
- Strong duct tape. Duct tape is used to close and secure the boxes. Make sure you buy duct tape that has a strong adhesive and is wide enough to seal the top.
- Black marker. A marker is used to label boxes. It doesn’t, however, have to be a black marker as long as it’s dark and opaque enough to be easily readable.
The supplies mentioned above are what’s absolutely necessary for any move. However, there are some more supplies that are commonly used, but not everybody needs them. These supplies are:
- Plastic wrap. Not everybody uses plastic wrap during a move. However, plastic wrap can be extremely useful in case there’s rain. It can also be useful for sealing boxes.
- Plastic covers. Plastic covers are a great way to shield your belongings from rain, dust, or place on the ground before your belongings.
- Blankets. You can use blankets the same way you would use plastic covers. However, you can also use blankets for extra padding or even wrapping belongings that you’re taking in a car with you.
First-time packing for a move
Any first-time mover could benefit greatly from hiring professional movers and packers. If you, for example, live in Pahrump, you could easily find many movers in Pahrump NV that will complete nearly all the moving tasks for you. However, some people simply want to move on their own. If you’re one of those people, following a few simple steps will help you move with ease!
6 easy steps for successful packing
- First of all, you have to decide what to pack in your essential bag. By doing so, you’ll make sure you have everything you might need on your moving day. It’s also wise to always pack a few extra essentials that you might need for an extra day or two if anything unexpected should arise.
- Once you’ve decided what you won’t be packing in the boxes, it’s time to decide what you will and how. The best way to do so is to divide your belongings into groups exactly how you plan on packing them. For example, packing clothes separately from kitchenware.
- After that, you will want to try to figure out how many boxes you might need. That said, you should always pack room-by-room. For example, start with the bedroom. And then decide what in your bedroom you’re going to pack first.
- The next step is to place all your belongings into boxes. But, make sure to wrap all fragile possession well with the bubble wrap. You don’t, however, have to wrap soft items like clothes or toys. Just make sure to pay extra attention to electronics, arts, antiques, and similar items. Also, make sure to fit breakable items snuggly. If there’s too much empty space between fragile items they might collide and break.
- Once you’ve filled your boxes, close them tightly with duct tape. Just make sure the boxes are closed properly.
- Label the boxes with a marker with the top facing up. The top should be facing up when labeling boxes because that’s how movers will place the boxes in the moving truck. And if you place the box incorrectly the contents of the box might get damaged.
Smooth sailing through your first packing journey
Apparently, packing on your own is not as hard as it sounds. And even though first-time packing might be challenging to some, it’s simply not as horrible as people make it out to be. By following this simple guide and investing some time and effort, you too can pack your belongings well for your upcoming move. Just don’t over or underestimate the packing process and your packing experience can be, as the title states, smooth sailing. Happy moving!