Are you planning to move? Moving to a new town usually represents something new and exciting. However, the process of decluttering, packing and organizing does not sound that exciting. So, because of that, it is not a process many people look forward to. In order to avoid any accidents and save money and time, keep on reading to find out some useful household packing guidelines from the experience of professional movers Las Vegas.
When you know that your move is final, and you know your correct date of relocation, start planning for it. It is necessary to start planning early. First things first, organize a family meeting. Sit down, order some pizza, and start talking about your move. Together with your family, or all the household members, try to make a to-do list and an inventory list. This will keep you organized. Try to discuss whether you will move by yourself or hire a moving company. Doing it yourself will be cheaper, but a lot more stressful.
So, in the long run, think about hiring professional help. Do not underestimate the process of packing, it usually takes longer and is more difficult than most think. Relocation process does cost money, however, if you start planning for it early and calculate your moving costs rightly, you will not break the bank.
Before you even start packing for your move, you need to declutter your home. When it comes to household packing guidelines, this is guide number one. You need to get rid of all your junk that has been laying around. Life is simpler with less. So, it is a good idea to have some options. For example, you can find a few bins, and label them as:
- Take With Me Bin – This is a bin for all the things that you find will be necessary for your new home. Do not forget to check the dimensions of your new place so that you can know how much space you will be working with.
- Give It Away Bin – This is a bin for all the things that you no longer find useful, but you do not want to throw them away. Call all your family and friends to help you out while packing, and maybe tell them about some of your stuff that needs to find a home.
- Donate Bin – This is simple. If you have some of your child’s old toys or wardrobe that you no longer wear, visit the local charity and donate.
- Sell Bin – However, if you need extra cash, maybe you can think about organizing a yard sale. That is a good way to sell everything that you no longer need. Besides that, you can also, sell your things online.
- Trash Bin – The simplest and the most complicated bin. Even though it sounds simple, many people hate throwing their things away. But if something simply does not work anymore, do not be too sentimental about it. Throw away anything that is broken, does not function or you just do not use it frequently.
Household packing guidelines – How to start?
So, you have decluttered and your home is now junk-free. Your job will now be a lot easier. Time for packing. Pick the items that you do not use that frequently first. The things that are necessary for everyday life should be packed last. Many professionals claim that packing one room at the time is the best solution. However, we have a different approach. Our household packing guidelines involve organizing your belongings by category. For example, you should pack all of your books together. Find an appropriate box or bin, put all the books together, seal it with tape and do not forget to label the box. You can do this with your clothes, shoes, important papers and the like. Remember, this rule only applies for small items in your household, not the big pieces like furniture.
Materials you will need
If you are planning to do your own packing, you will have to know that the secret of packing is having the right materials with which to work. Another rule of our household packing guidelines is that you cannot be stingy when it comes to buying the packing materials. So, it is not a good idea to collect boxes from your local supermarket. Invest some more money in your packing supplies and that will ensure that your belongings are safe and sound. Here are some of the materials to pay attention to:
- Wrapping Paper – Many people use old newspapers for this purpose, however, bare in mind that the ink on newsprint never thoroughly dries. So, some of your belongings might get inked. It is best to purchase some packing paper from your mover.
- Cartons – You will need many boxes of different sizes. All the boxes should be in good condition. They must have covers on them in order that they can be closed up and sealed.
- Bubble Wrap – For all the things that are fragile, bubble wrap is a must. Consider using it for all the things that are made of glass or some other easily broken materials.
- Sealing Tape – Of course, if you need boxes, you will need a sealing tape. The best ones are those made of plastic. The sealing tape rolls should be at least 1.5 to 2 inches wide.
- Magic Marker – Do not forget to label your boxes. Also, you will need it for writing information such as “FRAGILE” or “THIS SIDE UP”, etc.
Hire a Mover!
Since you are already looking for household packing guidelines, consider looking for a moving company as well. Professional movers are trained people who know how to do their job. They will pack and ship everything neatly so you will not have to worry about losing or damaging something. They will provide you with their own boxes and packing materials as well as putting everything in the moving truck and relocating it. Do not think much, and hire some help!